View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 11:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
Your statement does not apply throughout the state. Our organization is the assignor for many northwest suburban conferences. We do not have written contracts with the schools although some have now gone to the voucher system for direct payment. However; what governs us is our organization. If we are missing an umpire at the site, we are supposed to call the assignor for direction as far as splitting up. But we are not obligated to do so. If you want to stay in good graces with the assignor, you do it. Nobody ever has a problem with it.

For those who do work under contracts be careful about the wording to make sure there is language about you being an independent contractor. If not, it could be assumed that you were an employee for tax purposes. At our clinics, there are always questions about the topic. Basically what we've been told is that if any agreement has restrictive language that can dictate your actions, you may wind up being considered an employee. I'm not trying to give legal advice because I'm not an attorney - if you're not sure, ask.
I am not telling you what your organization says, I am telling you what the IHSA says and what they will do and how they will handle the situation if there is a violation with a contract. Understand that if you are working HS games in Illinois with IHSA Member schools, you are subject to their rules and regulations that may preclude those of a local association. Also remember that most associations are recognized by the IHSA and have to follow IHSA policies or they will not be able to do many things under the IHSA umbrella. This information was stated at a meeting Dave Gannaway had with assignors at the IHSA Official's Convention and he made it very clear what rights the assignors had and did not have as it related to the contracts they make with the schools. Now we also know in reality that may not apply in practice, but if a school wants to hold your feet to the fire or you want to say the contract was violated, it is not the assignors the IHSA will pay attention to in the dispute or fine for that matter.

Peace