View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Junker, what's your goal in attending camp? Are you hoping to get hired in a D1 conference? Are you looking to improve your HS state playoff assignments? Trying to impress a particular assignor?

Regardless of how you answer those questions, I would encourage you to get into a camp or two this summer. But find the right camp for your goal(s). If you hope to break D1, then you probably need to hit those try-out camps hard and soon. I felt like my time was running out as I hit 40 years old. Once you get a foot in the door, then who knows where it'll lead; but don't put it off if that's where you want to go.

If your goals are more modest, then it's probably not as urgent to get into a "be seen" camp this year. And you might reasonably decide not to go to a more "expensive" or "big time" camp at all. But I would still try to find a camp where I could get in front of the D3 assignor, for example.

You're not going to embarrass yourself either way. So nail down what you hope to achieve at camp, find a couple that fit your goal and go knock 'em dead.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it goes.
I actually did hit a DIII camp last summer. A friend and mentor became a new assignor and invited me. I know I'm on a waiting list to work for him, he has a lot of good officials he wants to work into the league, but can't come in as the new guy and totally redo his officiating staff. Other than that, I usually hit at least 2 other camps every year, one by my JUCO assignor and one by a HS assignor. I feel that every time you go to camp you should be looking to learn, but as you get farther along in this biz, it definitely gets to be about being seen. I'm actually more interested in moving up in the college ranks. Working college ball fits in better with my "real career" goals. At the moment I want to work a couple more JUCO games next season. I'd certainly like to get to the DI level like most of us, but when setting goals, I want to be realistic with myself. I'm trying to take it one step at a time. Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate it.