View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Ok this is aimed at you DIII, DII and DI college guys. When should I get serious and go to a big time college camp? I've been working for 7 seasons, I work 4A high school ball (the biggest in my area) and just finished my first season of JUCO women's ball. I know I need some more "seasoning" before I'm ready to move up or have a shot at moving up, but age is going to become in issue I think. I'm 35 now. My question is am I better off starting to go to those bigger (and more expensive) camps now, or wait a few seasons until I'll be a better official. This isn't a pressing issue but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
You should go to the bigger camps when you feel ready. I went to my first camp 2 seasons ago and got hired for DIII and JC mens. I was only doing ball for 2 years at the h.s. level. This past summer I went to two more camp and got hired by two other guys for JC. The thing for me is a felt ready to go to camp. In the back of mind I wanted to get hired by the bosses but I reminded myself I'm also there to learn. If tell yourself I have to get hired it will tear you up and you wont perform on the court well. That happened to me last summer. I couldn't focus and was hard to get in the flow of things.IO was hired by the assignor of the camp but wish I could do it over again since that wasn't my best game. DIII is different then JC. From my experience the game is a lot more on fundamentals then taking it to the rack and scoring buckets. I'm surprised that a DIII person didn't pick you up when you get hired for DIII. If i were you, please know that I'm 21, I would buckle down and go to some bigger camps if you feel you can compete with that pool of officials working that level. Remember you will be with some of your colleagues that are working JC, DIII or whatever. My mentor is a very good college basketball official at the DIII and JC level. He wants to get to DI. He said what is hurting is his age I think he is around your age 33-35. So yah age can play a factor but that depends on how far you want to go with it. He got some good looks this past summer by some DI conferences and I think he will get hired this summer. But thats up to you, if want it that bad, then go get it. Work hard, network with the staff, talk to the assignors shake hands so there can put a face to the name at the camp, and tell them your interested in working for them in their conference. I did that last summer at one camp and I got in. Remember what they say, It's easy getting in, but its what you do that will keep you in (hard work, self improvement). Hope this helps.