View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 12:41pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Just an observation, how come we don't see more referee's commentating. We certainly see players become commentators, why not a hall of fame official? We are apart of the game and I for one would love to hear from an officials prospective live.
The only people who would care to hear an official announce a game are probably other officials or that officials family.

I have a serious question concerning criticizing officials' calls. Is it most people's (who are members here) belief that we shouldn't criticize a fellow official amongst ourselves on this forum? I asked that because I have seen people called some pretty low names for questioning an official's call. I know they are good, but that doesn't mean that just because they do something they are automatically right. I know everybody doesn't think they are always right, but there have been times where it seems that is the case.

Ironically, I worked with an official this weekend in Vegas who just went to the NCAA and NIT tournaments. He told the two of us it is all about getting a break. He said what he calls isn't any different from what we call. If what he says is true - which I think it is - officials at the D1 level can make mistakes just like everybody else. So what are the rules of engagement when talking about those mistakes? If someone comes on this forum and says they made a mistake is that a lot different than seeing an official make a mistake on national TV and learning from it?