View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Very good. Thanks. Fast, authoritative, just the right degree of snarky impatience with my careless terminology. (exactly right: I confused player control foul with, well, everything. ) I'm curious about this bit on the pick, though. Is there any level of violence that, even if accidental or unintentional, is still a foul on the defender when defender meets pick? Or is the picking player "accepting" whatever befalls him? That's what I got from the post

To restate q1 #1--now that I have the official go-ahead--maybe I'll be clearer. I know the officials have thought these things out. If ball is thrown the length of the court, how long does it take to pass from the top of the key to the basket? That's why q1 isn't irrelevant, I think; I need my time left to be enough so that the clock would have expired if the top-of-the-key player touched it, but also not so short that the guy at the hoop would have long enough to catch and shoot. Are there standard timings for some of these? (and of course I know that the officials call what they see, and anything is possible, and so on.) I'm a writer, and this is fiction, so I won't tell anyone that you speculated. If you understand the question.

otherwise thanks for the help. I'd post the whole action sequence but you guys would shred it and I'd have to get a real job.

DM