View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Here I got one that JimPiano can jump on that we use and thats not in the book.. and the book is lame on this one. (note: I think its a very different situation to have umpire to umpire signals agreed to pregame as opposed to using invented signals to call your game to the crowd).

The book wants you yelling across the field asking for the count if you lose it.

Lame.

We tap the top of our hat, our partner knows we want the count which is sent back by signal. There is no need to verbalize that.

I do pretty good count wise as PU, sometimes as BU I will miss the call of the pitch because something happened (say a steal).

Do you guys yell "Hey I'm stupid and lost the count" or do you use the hat/other signal to get the count?

Well hell, you guys probably never lose the count

LOL if it weren't for the indicator I would be absolutely freakin lost. I really admire all of you who can keep up with the count without an indicator. I've been involved in this avocation since I was 14 (that would be 1970 for those of you keeping score at home) and always carry two indicators with me - if one is lost, broken, stolen or disabled, I have a backup, and if my partner forgets his/her indicator, I have one ready for them. I could more easily go without a chest protector, cup, shin guards or mask than without an indicator.

We (Seattle/Tacoma area, where it was 77 degrees yesterday, April 6, for our first and likely only day of spring) use the hands on the front of the shirt/wiggling the fingers signal to ask for the count, although I am extremely bilingual and have seen/used the top of the hat to ask for the same.

I'll be damned if I will yell across the field asking for the count and let people believe I am an even bigger fool than what they already think/know.

Last edited by bkbjones; Sat Apr 07, 2007 at 09:35am.