View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Really?

So when Packer explained why Oden got the two early fouls in the Georgetown game while the sportswriters were castigating the officials for "taking the game away from the fans" he was just talking to himself?

It is interesting, but not surprising, that you guys cannot stand criticism from
those who are not officials, but can be so virulent towards a profession in which you have no expertise.

Frankly, reading the comments of many on here who second guess their refereeing brethern based solely on TV coverage, makes me wonder about your professionalism.
OK, since I work in the area of broadcast, does that mean that I can criticize him? Based upon your previous comment - I say yes.

Billy Packer is horrible. I do not know of a single announcer - and there are at LEAST a dozen others in my company - that thinks Billy Packer is any good at all. Obviously, you think he's talented so please explain to us one innovation that he has done to "make" college basketball. As for your other comment - Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Coach K, Joe B Hall, John Wooden - all icons. Sportscasters? Chris Berman, Jon Miller, Curt Goudy, Brent Musberger - even Dickie V would all be iconic. Billy Packer? Is a guy who has held on to a position waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past his prime (if he ever had a prime). Please tell us what you think makes him an icon?

You say we shouldn't criticize a profession that we know nothing about but yet you criticize us? Sheeeeeesh!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.