View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Smile

For the comments about me not handling the situation until the 9th inning. The other team did complain one time throughout the game. In the second inning I pulled my lineup card out then called the head coach over and told him to calm his bench down before I was forced to. He made no attempt to calm things down. I warned two different players early in the game.

I have 5 years of NCAA experience and I have never seen a college team behave this way in regular season.

This league is notorious for incidents like this one. The league is supposed to pay before the game but they do whatever they want. One crew only got half a game fee because the game got rained out in the 4th inning. I have not been back for three years until this summer because my partner and I were chased off the field by the coaches and fans of a team that lost due to a forfiet. They surrounded us and would not let us leave and the owner refused to call the police. The forfiet was because the owner was because one of the visiting teams fans was ringing a cow bell and he wanted my partner to make them stop. He came on the field and refused to leave until my partner made the fan leave so after pleading with every coach on the home team my partner forfieted the game. As you can probably tell I won't be back to that league by my choice, I am still in good standing with the supervisor (who also assigns the regular season games).

After the game my partner told me that he didn't understand what they were complaining about. I thought I missed two pitches and he told the supervisor that I didn't miss any. My partner was a NCAA veteran (around 15 years experience) and I believe him.

I tried to handle things by giving warnings but it didn't work. I gave them a total of three warnings throughout the game. The warnings worked for a couple of innings and then they would start right back up. I probably did fuel the fire a little but like I said I had enough. There were no plays for me to kick and my strike zone was good & consistant throughout the game so I attribute the situation to 75% them and 25% me for saying the wrong things at the wrong time. I believe there would have been at least two ejections had I said nothing.

I hope I don't sound like I'm being defensive because I do want to hear what you have to say and I have no hard feelings what whatever criticism you give me.

Thanks,

WVBLUE