View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
The runner on 1B runs 150 feet out and stands behind F9 and doesn't move. How does the defense play it? Do they throw to 2B, and have F6 keep an eye on the runner on third while walking down the baseline toward 1B "attempting to tag the runner"?

Or does the defense ignore the runner and play normally, figuring that the runner has simply placed himself farther from the bases?

Then the runner bowls F9 over and wants obstruction?

Hmmm........seems an opposing coach could merely teach his F1 to step back off the rubber and start running toward R1 as R1 is heading to the outfield.

My bet is most officials might like to interpret R1's actions at that point as leaving his basepath when being played upon. At the very least, the defensive coach could appeal to the officials that this, indeed, is HIS trick play to counter the offense's trick play. Let's see....he's appealing a rule interpretation. Could this be corrected if not originally called?

Most officials I know are not fond of trick plays; they prefer real baseball.
I, for one, would welcome the opportunity to keep runners from heading to the outfield. As stated, I might even consider that making a travesty of the game, but the basepath rule is a much better one to use to get back to baseball.

Just a thought,

Freix