View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
The only reason I would call from behind the circle is when I call a game without equipment. (Yeah, yeah, I know, black heresy ). You only can see half the infield at a time from behind the circle, without a base ump there's just too much that goes unseen.
Hey JefferMC,

Last night after about 45 minutes behind the dish I found out just how difficult it is on the legs. I have taken Mike's advice and spent some time in front of the TV calling games. I'm glad I did but I guess my near 57 year old legs needed more than that. Some of the players were too short for my tired knees to get low enough to work the slot without having to kneel on one knee. The game went for 1 hour and 15 minutes, but thankfully in the last half hour I had only one play that required me to run to get proper position for a call at second base. I don't know how some of you guys can work several games behind the plate on the same day! I expect to umpire two games of girls fast-pitch once a week so I will need do some leg exercises. Perhaps someone has some good advice on what works best to increase leg strength. ...Al