View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
In Fed and OBR, the runner is not protected while on base (except for an infield fly) however, in NCAA they are unless they intentially interfere
Not true for NCAA.

8-5k "A runner is out when the runner, including a runner in contact with a base, is hit while in fair territory by a batted ball ..."

FED Situation 13 does seem to contradict other FED case plays.
Bob:

I think it's one of the FED rulings that's done to answer ONE play posed by ONE coach.

If a fielder is in position to make a catch of the line drive, the runner is OUT, as opposed to the usual ruling of 8.4.2i.

How many times in your career will you see the shortstop play directly behind second base?

Here's a quotation from my posts at eTeamz:

The FED has always held that the base protects a runner if the defense is playing behind a line drawn in front of the base. See 8.4.2H and I for further information.

Number 13 is merely a clarification that a runner on base could be out when hit, even though the fielder is behind that line, when the fielder is in "position" to make a catch.

For that to happen, the fielder would need to be directly behind second, which is truly a fourth-world play.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Mar 3rd, 2002 at 02:59 AM]