View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
I have a question regarding that. I'm primarily a baseball umpire, however I was ASA certified and worked local and tournament softball for a couple of years. I always applied the same expectations of behavior to both my softball and baseball games. While I've run several baseball players and coaches, I never felt the need to run a softball player or coach (though I was close a few times).

What is considered enough by softball umpires in order for a coach or player to get ejected? I'm not trying to stir the waters here, I just never realized there was a difference.
Player? probably very much the same for both sports. Head coach? probably similar, with a little more leniency as you go up, and a little more leniency in softball in general, from what I've seen. Not really due to rule... more due to a rather higher "ego-level" in baseball umpires than in softball umpires ... no offense. Assistant coach? Huge difference - in softball, most assistant coaches are afforded only a small degree less latitude than head coaches. In baseball, if an assistant coach even breathes funny at an umpire, he's gone.