Thread: Improper Batter
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

As you might guess, I was keeping score for the team on defense during this "interesting situation." I didn't offer any solutions, I just pointed out that the batter was not entitled to the slot she was batting in, noting that she was in the 10th slot, where the player she replaced had been and that in that slot she would never legally bat. I then stood back an left it to them to to resolve. When he came back and said that they were going to make the count 0-0 on the batter and make her the legal substitute for 1, I only asked "are you putting the runner back on third?" to which the answer was "yes." Heck, I thought I knew what to do about BOO, but I didn't have a clue about illegal substitution. My rulebook was at home.

I never saw her score anyway, I was trying to get to the coach from the moment #8 turned so that I could see her number.

I think I saw 6 umpires at this two-field tournament. At least half of them I had pegged as small-ball umpires (pointing the finger and shooting the bow). I don't remember what camp these two were in. Other than this screw-up, I thought they did a good job.

DP/Flex confuses everyone, but I'm not sure how anybody messed it up this way.