View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 10:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I see the problem. You don't. If the thrower was still holding the ball OOB when the clock started, and the whistle then went off before the ball even left the thrower's hands, you'd still give it to the other team if they had the arrow under your goofy interpretation.

Completely freaking ridiculous!

JR:

By rule, yes. Am I going to by rule? No. Why? Easy, about five to seven years ago (maybe more), the NFHS change way how the game was to be restarted after a correctable error with regard to unawarded free throws. Before this rule change, i.e., if A1 was to receive free throws for a common foul by B1 and instead Team A was awarded a throw-in and the correctable error was discovered during the allowabe time limit, the free three would be awarded as a Point-of-Interuption. That meant if the correctable error was discovered while the ball was live, say, just after Team A had inbounded the ball, A1 would be awarded his free throws and then Team A would get the ball for a throw-in. That also meant if the correctable error was discovered while a player for Team A was in possession of the ball for the throw-in that had been awarded for B1's common foul inplace of the unawarded free throw for B1's foul, Team A should get the ball again for a throw-in after A1 had shot his free throws. BUT, I do not know of any official, including me that would handle a correctable error that was discovered while a player for Team A was in possession of the ball for the throw-in.

Once again, the key here is game awareness by the officials.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio