Thread: What a Mess!
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
What was done right? What was done wrong?

Here is where I would place the runners.

R2 tagged up properly so I would leave him at third base as the umpire error had no effect on him. The BR is obviously out but I would put R1 back at first because he was effected by umpire error. Therefore, we have runners at the corners and 2 outs let's play.

Pete Booth
Pete, I agree with everything but two minor thoughts:

1. Do we know the BR is out? that is why BU froze, he still doesn't know if he made the catch or not. Unless the PU knows he caught it, or the BU owns up to it later, could we not place the BR too? If I'm the PU that is Q1: "Do You know he caught it?" Unless I saw it, caught, the PU has to tell me if it was caught. Now if it is stiplualted at the top of the play the BU or PU knew the ball is caught, then I agree with you.

2. If F8 is making a diving catch with his back to the inf, I would look and see where R1, just in case R1 decided to tag on this play. I admit that any player worth his salt won't tag on this play, he would go at least half way to 2B. But, the 1B coach might have made him tag up, or he would go and do it on his own. If he's tagging, then I put R1 on 2B.