View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

2SF is a lazy umpires mechanic! (Hint - do NOT get Jim Evans started on this topic unless you have a long to listen).

Get out as close to 90 degrees to the throws as you can. A lean/step should get the angle to make this call with very little exception.

The problem here comes from a pressure situation that forces BU into foul territory where both may be screened.

As the old saying goes - Sometimes you just have to umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Hmmmmmmmm! No runners on, you are in the "A" position.

If you use the 2SF (2 Steps Fair) mechanic, you're looking right down the throat of the swipe or the pulled foot - no need for help. If you work the 90°, then you may not see the whole thing. Position is everything and you should alway strive to get into position for the play!

As far as asking for help, remember this: One play - One call! If you need help, ask for it before making the call, never make a call then saddle your partner with it! Also, if you need help over and over, you're doing something wrong! Too many youth umpires go for help way too many times. This isn't a Senate meeting that needs constant discussions and voting. It is a time to make a decision and call it!

Don't let a coach pressure you to go for help on a call. If you saw it, call it!
"You need to go for help on that, Blue!"
"I got the call, coach - if I needed help on that call, I would have gotten it before I made the call!"
"But....."
"We're done here, coach! Let's get back to the game now" Turn your back to the coach and just hustle to your position!

Last edited by socalblue1; Thu Mar 15, 2007 at 03:51am.