View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
In your opinion I am doing an disservice to officiating. I beg to differ. Technically, the call was correct but what you fail to understand, and this is my point, the OP guessed at it. He was not for sure until he went back and saw it on film. We are talking a split-second before everything lined up with the correct call. Do you even comprehend that in a split-second he could have been wrong? That's one of my problems here. Do you understand there is no such thing as a Superman? Then you understand there is no such thing as a perfect official. In order to get that call correct for the game winner consistently across the board of all NFHS officials is impossible. A bet you in that crew alone, you couldn't get all 3 of them at the Lead position, with the game on the line, to all make the same call.

Now you want to get mad at me because I'm for sure of my call. If I was to call player control, I would not be for sure. I think (split-second) that he got there first before offensive player left his feet. If I'm going to decide the state championship, or section championship, or any championship for that matter, I'm going with what I know for sure. I know for sure that A1 had an open look at the basket, because I saw the same thing (damn, how did he get that open) and B.) that defender came over late, caused a collision. I'm 80% block too late, I'm 20% (not sure) offensive foul. I'm going with the block, every single time. I'm 80% block, 20% charge, definitely not 50-50. BLOCK!!!!! I would have given you the best BLOCK, AND-1, GAME mechanic the world has ever seen, and then ran out to the locker room, all in one continuous motion.

Now, let's look at the 2nd video. If I got a block at the basket, that's gonna be a block at the top, or it's a better no call for me than the OP who called a PC at the basket. That's where we went inconsistent, imho. You see, the OP got lucky twice because he guessed at the 1st call and got it right, and because the player didn't lose control of the ball, he lucked out and didn't have to make a call on the 2nd video either. However, if the player would have lost control of the ball, what is your call? If the player dribble out of bounds, what is your call? If you call block, I'm showing that video to the league and I'm saying my player ducked to avoid contact and it was not a flop and he had established clearly LGP. Not to mention that a game winner was taken from me on a similar play earlier. What do you think the league is going to say? I think your actions when they are inconsistent are harder to defend. So don't come down to hard on me, I'm just keeping it real dawgs...

I got a BLOCK!!!!
You know what amazes me???? You just admitted that the call was technically correct, but yet you still would call a block. I don't even know what to say to that.