View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Since I'm now clear that the requirement (as it relates to the feet) in order to establish LGP is that any part of the foot is touching the floor, would anybody be interested in discussing verticality, specifically does verticality have anything to do with whether this is a block or PC?

Disclaimer: The following is a question, not an opinion or an interpretation unless so stated. Any description of the event or non-event, the placement of the feet/hands/body of a player are for the sole purpose of thoroughly explaining the situation so that everything that might be important is included for the purpose of a through analysis.

In the frame of the video where the offensive player is airborne (both feet off of the floor), and the defensive player has both feet touching the floor, it's seems that the defensive player was positioned at an angle. I have been told (in a discussion that I believe occurred on this board) that verticality is essentially straight up from the floor from a natural stance.

Because of the camera placement, the offensive player occludes our view of the defensive player, but is does seem as though the defensive player's body was still moving from left to right while the offensive player was airborne, and that the defensive player's body was still catching up with his momentum when contact occurred.

Does vertically play any part in whether or not this is a block or a PC? If it does, from where does the vertical boundary begin on each side of the defensive player's body?

If the boundaries of the vertical cylinder (I don't know of that is officialese, but it sounds descriptive for what I am trying to describe) begins on the outside of each foot and go straight up, that would be a lot of space in this scenario. In this case, if a line was drawn straight up from the outside of the defensive player's left foot where the foot was in contact with the court when the offensive player went airborne, and had the contact not occurred (for instance if the offensive player was one step slower), the defensive player would have continued in motion from left to right and ultimately would have occupied that space and the contact may not have ever occurred.