View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
OP: "Third baseman heads to tag R3 off the bag."
Possession is 9/10ths of the LAW. R3 cannot run to 2B {I see others are having trouble with this, } and he cannot run 3 ft away from the tag and toward home plate either. It would take a miracle for R3 to legally run under or over F5 and regain possesion of 3B. I also assume F5 is competent and does not drop the ball after making a legal tag on R3. R3 is out and R2 is safe at 3B.
You seem to have completely missed the point (not surprising, as the point was muddied by a good number of side-issues).

The point of the original poster (a point I obviously disagree with, but it is the point that is actually under discussion) was that in a sitch like this, has R2 - who has obtained 3rd base - actually passed R3, who is in left field by a few steps. I still say no ... but this contention is the point under discussion. And if they are right, then R2 is out before any tag attempt on R3 even starts.

(In response to what you've said, though, and at the risk of creating yet ANOTHER side conversation ... R3 is not out until he's either tagged, or runs out of the baseline to avoid a tag attempt. And R3 is not out if F5 tags him while he's on the base (which you seem to say, and did ACTUALLY say in a separate post). Falling over the base, by itself, is not enough to call him out. Not sure if that's what you meant to imply, but that's the way I read it.)