View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
no runners on. ground ball to F6. throw pulls F3 off of the bag. he attempts a swipe tag of the BR. BU does not think he got a good look at the tag attempt. how should he go about asking for help? should he ask for help prior to making any call ? ie. BU makes no call and immediately points at PU and asks "do you have a tag?"
same thing for a pulled foot?
i've gotten some differing opinions.
i was also told by a veteran D1 umpire that BU should never ask for help on a pulled foot. only a swipe tag if necessary. i believe he is wrong and asking for help on either is acceptable. i know that BU should do his best to read a bad throw and attempt to adjust his position to get a better look at a tag or pulled foot situation, but i was under the impression that it is acceptable to ask for help in either of these situations.
thoughts? thanks.
Perhaps the aforementioned could be a nice topic for one of the staff writers (Probably Papa C who umpired when Abe Lincoln was President - Just kidding Papa C)

The topic could be the evolution of the 2 person mechancis as they have changed over the years.

When I first started the rule of thumb was this:

The PU duties were as the name indicated . The Plate area only. The base Umpire had all bases EXCEPT home plate.

We were told what calls were ours and what calls were the PU's. if we kicked it we kicked it. Learn and move on.

Over the years the PU has acquired more and more responsibilities relative to the bases.

At one time there was a huge debate on when calls could be changed. Papa C listed his infamous FAB V on when calls could be legally changed. That list is probably out dated as there is a new thinking even in the PROS.

The professional approach along with the Collegiate approach has changed and now there is big movement on "getting the call right at all costs".

We see our bretheran at the major league level huddling (ala Football Officials) more so then in the past. The main reason has been TV with their SUPER SLO-MO angles and let's face it, the networks "eat-it-up" when they catch an umpire kicking a call and it becomes a major highlight.

The REAL answer lies in: What is the recommended mechanic in the association in which you work. That's what i would follow:

In a nutshell the prescibed mechanic is to go to your partner WITHOUT being asked. In another words you simply say to your partner

"Carl did he get him" or "Carl did he have the bag" but the call is still YOURS. You are simply asking for add'l info which you are unsure of.

However, do not get in the habit of using the PU as a "crutch" because depending upion the situation he/she might not be able to assist you. Also, you might be doing a game with Old Smitty" who has the dish and if you point to him you might get that "Shrugged shoulder" look.

Pete Booth