View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli
You are a "new ump;" you have a question concerning mechanics; you ask a veteran D1 umpire; he gives you an answer; it conflicts with what you "know" is right as a "rookie;" so you look for an answer from a group of umpires whose backgrounds you don't know. Why? Do you want to learn from the veteran D1 umpire or find people who will validate your rookie opinions. I'd bet if he had agreed with you, you wouldn't have posed this question here. Be careful as a new learner (umpire) not to "know" the answers to the questions before you ask them.

In this situation maybe he is offering advice so that you can survive as an umpire where you work. It really is lame to ask for help on a pulled foot with no runners on. It is weak, but not lame, to ask for help on a swipe tag with no runners on, but it certainly shouldn't be a more than once or twice a decade habit.
I agree with your analysis if the D1 dude was speaking only to bases empty. However, if he was speaking in more general terms then I don't fault newump for trying to get a wider spectrum of opinions. Perhaps he was told something different at his association and he is now conflicted.
It may be this D1s style to never get help on a pulled foot, maybe he's only done 3 man the past few years and forgets from whence he came, much less opportunity to need help in 3 man so his style has evolved accordingly, but going for help when you're in b or c is not wrong. I think it is great for a new umpire to get a lot of varied opinions on issues like this, mechanics, style, preferences etc. By listening and learning from many, it is much easier to develop a style that fits your own personality.