View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Man, that is a close one, Dudey. I wish that I could freeze-frame that one. It looks like the defender just got his outside foot down while the shooter still had a foot on the court. The ball was still in the shooter's hand when the contact occurred too. You can't no-call it because of that imo.

Soooooo....that makes it a charge, and a good call. Tough call.

Your game? Your call?
JR...you are so right! (on all counts) It was a close one...and it was my game and my call.

You can freeze-frame it if you put the pointer on the moving "slide-ball"...after viewing it I felt a little better. I see the defender having both feet set a fraction of a second before the dribbler becomes an airborne shooter.

I couldn't see no-calling it either...both players on the ground, something had to be called, IMO. (Add insult to injury...5th foul on dribbler...he doesn't get to even play in the OT) Also, isn't it Fed philosophy if an official has a close "block/charge" call and isnt' sure...go with the charge?

Sidenote: I know both player's father's very well. I just talked to the dribbler's father today, (we have worked for the same company for years), he is a class act...smiling, he said it was a tough call and that's the way it goes. He said he hasn't even looked at the video.
The defender's father is a part time official in our association...I haven't heard from him...yet. (Of course the white team just got back from state...taking 6th place...losing to the team that knocked out the orange team, in regionals, the very next night.)

Here is the dribbler's interview after the game...a three sport superstar player and class act, IMO. (The player that is shouted to, just going up the stairs, is Jason Munns...going to BYU on a football scolarship.) (He played for the white team)
http://www.sportstricities.com/sport...-8574709c.html
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Tue Mar 13, 2007 at 04:36pm.