View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kelvin green
[B]First no one ever said all the rules had to be fair

Does it matter that B1 is only trying to draw the foul? He has met the rule. He had established legal guarding position and thus is playing GOOD Defense (unless of course you want to get in the discussion if he had set up under the basket but weve been down that road) He has used his quickness to actively defend. He got in front of him in legal guarding position... A has two choices go around him or foul, not my fault A is too slow to go around. B forced the foul, and the turnover. There are no factors that play in the judgement. If In my judgement he has established legal guarding position the offense gets the foul. Why bail the offense out here? I will make the PC call on tis one no doubt.

This isnt any different that setting legal moving screens, setting the blind side screen with the appropriate distance, or one of a myriad of actions that teams use to get a team to violate or foul.

I understand what your saying and this is the understanding I have from the rules. And yes, who says they have to be fair. I'll also avoid the under the hoop debate. But... Who is responsible for the contact? If someone jumps in front of a moving train, is it the train/conductor who initiated the contact? or is it the idiot who jumped in front? It's this question of "Who initiated the contact?" that seems to be where judgement could come into play. I have the same issue when an offensive player upfakes and then steps under the defender for the sole purpose of drawing a foul. Can't it be said that the offensive player initiated the contact?
EG