View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

On a typical Block/Charge play, (opponents facing each other when contact occurrs) it certainly helps the defender if he takes a hit in the chest. I will have a no call if the contact is in the shoulder. You are correct, the defender does not have to take the hit spuarely.
Now, about your statement if the defender falls backwards, this is a judgement call. At what point in his leaning back and the contact occurrs do you decide to call block vs charge? [/B]

Let’s brake this down into two parts.

Just last night I made 2 charge calls that you would have let go if you stick to the no call on a shoulder hit. In game one B was in a 2-3 zone with B1 and B2 guarding with less than “2” feet between them, not to say anything about 3 feet. A1 tried to split them and hit both on the shoulders.

In the second game A1 is driving the baseline with B2 set and blocking A1’s way on the baseline. (B1 was already beat and was following the play.) At the last possible moment B2 cowers and taking a side step moves away from the baseline but still within 3 feet of it. A1 hits him on the shoulder and both go down. Charge on A1.

As for the defender falling backwards, it is not my statement. All I said is that it may be an outgrowth of the misconception about where the hit took place. The fact is I don’t look at the aftermath of the hit to make my call.