View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Rule 9-4-1 says: A player who steps out of bounds under his/her own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning the playing court has committed a violation.
  1. A violation has not been committed when a player, who steps out of bounds as permitted by Rule 7-5.8a, does not receive the pass along the endline by a teammate and is the first to touch the ball after his or her return to the playing court.
This rule has always been confusing to me. The endline reference above should be removed as it could occur elsewhere on the court. The same condition could occur on the sideline. In fact, I called one on the sideline on a fast break where A3 ran behind the coach while A1 with the ball continued to push, then A1 pass the ball to A3 who was then 2 full strides back inbounds, received the pass, didn't need to dribble and shot a layup. I reason A3 couldn't be the first to touch after intentionally running out of bounds. Not sure now if I ruled correctly on the play because A1 had the ball. Once he returned back on the court, A1 still had the ball, which now leads me to believe that A1 was the first to touch it once he returned inbounds.

I remember debating this rule at the meeting when they changed it and we couldn't come to a consensus on it's definition. The more we talked about it, the more confusing it got. Really have no idea what the NCAA is trying to accomplish with this one. NFHS did make it clearer. It's a violation the minute you intentionally do it.