Thread: UNC/Duke Game
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Let's just discuss what you consider a 'combative act'.
That's certainly a good question and something that makes a lot more sense seeing that this is a basketball forum and not law school forum talking about the legal nuances of self-defense while standing outside a McDonald's.

Can we first agree that it is much easier to determine intent and what is combative action when there is no other action involved? (i.e. a play on the ball - attempted strip, block shot, etc)

In general, I would say that blows that come from hands (open fist or not), forearms, elbows, knees, legs, or feet that outwardly strike an opponent, who is in a vulnerable position, in a manner that is deemed to cause harm or injury can be considered "combative". This is not an exhaustive or specific list (note I did not list a head-butting action - although that should clearly be construed as combative) of instances.

This is certainly a determination that is subjective - like the vast majority of fouls/violations in basketball. Just because A1's hand hits B1's face does not make it a combative action (think about how many times an official stops play for an apparent injury because he ruled the contact inadvertant).

Simply put, we'd both have to look at lots of plays/situations to determine if combative action took place. It's difficult to provide an all-inclusive list of actions that must be strictly adhered to. Hope that helps and or at least makes a little sense.....