View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
If the player clearly yells it and he has no time outs and you know it, to avoid a T I would say In my judgment I felt you didn't have control. If the player argues whisper to him or something saying you want a tech for no time outs or would you rather lose the ball. Just my opinion though. Nevedaref tells me to keep trying things since Im young and find what works and what doesn't. RB stand point 100% correct.
On this one, the point that I am trying to make to you is well stated by Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'd rather make this call and explain to the assigner, with full rules backing, why I made it then not make the call and have to explain to him why I ignored an obvious technical foul.
Additionally, the NFHS wrote in a POE this season:

"Rules Enforcement and Proper Use of Signals. The committee has seen a movement away from the consistent application of rule enforcement and use of approved mechanics/signals.
A. Rules Enforcement. Officials need to be aware that personal interpretations of the rules have a negative impact on the game. The rules are written to provide a balance between offense and defense, minimize risks to participants, promote the sound tradition of the game and promote fair play. Individual philosophies and deviations from the rules as written negatively impact the basic fundamentals and tenants of the rules. Officials must be consistent in the application of all rules,..."

Just call it correctly instead of trying to hedge and avoid this or that. Keep it simple and do your job.