Thread: Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 02:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Ignoring the issue with the coach for a second, this is a pretty basic play.

With R1 and a clean hit to the outfield, PU comes up the third base line in foul territory to the library telling his partner "I've got third if he comes."

If R1 continues past second and there appears to be a play building, (remember it takes the ball and a runner to make a play), PU moves into fair territory and to the cut out telling his partner, "I've got third, I've got third."

If no play is going to be made, PU announces "I'm going home." and glances at the touch at third as he goes back to the plate.
This reminds me of a story from when I was in my first or second season, and a very high level umpire was working the plate. On a routine 1st to 3rd play on a base hit, I, the BU, did not hear my partner tell me that he had third if he comes or anything, so I kept going, only to see my partner right on top of the play when I turned with the throw. I backed down and gave it to him. Later I asked him about it, and told him that I didn't hear him say anything, so I didn't think he was going to get there. He told me something that I'll never forget. He said, "It's my job to be there, so that's where I'm going to be."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25