View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Dear friends,

I found very helpful all your posts.
I agree the situation in the OP should be an exception to the standard movements.

My opinion is that BU in a simple situation should follow the runner towards second base… if the ball (throw, play) comes from the area between home plate/first base/foul territory, BU should try to go to 2^ staying OUTSIDE the baseline. If the ball (throw, play) comes from the OUTFIELD (foul or fair it doesn’t matter - e.g. a no catch), BU should follow the runner staying in the infield. To say it differently the “outside/inside theory” should be followed also in this kind of situation.
And - plus - we are still following the principle Henry Pollard said once (and I never forget) "the play dictates".

I ABSOLUTELY agree that sometimes PU has a better angle to a possible play at second base: PU is already (almost) in the middle of the infield (trailing batter-runner) and what PU should do is just continue towards second base. In this scenario BU is obviously “blocked” in foul territory and cannot reach the right position to follow BR!

My FINAL question is: should we adopt the “exception” (PU covering the bases and BU go at the plate) as a “rule” (a drawing on our manual) or we should better say this is just an alternate possibility based on what will happen during the play and/or the two umps decisions before the game?

Ancora grazie per l’aiuto!