View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No, I Mean, No, Jump Balls

Back in the later part of the 20th century, we had jump ball for every held ball situation in the game, at one of three different jump ball circles, as well as at the start of each period, or overtime period. Back then, as an official, I knew every the jump ball violation rule like the back of my hand, chapter and verse. Coaches, including me, had several jump ball plays, depending on whether they thought they would win the jump ball or which jump ball circle was going to be used in reference to their basket. As an official, I worked on my toss, often trying to toss the ball through the basket from below.

Today, with the alternating possession rule, we usually have only one jump ball each game, about half the time I'm the referee, and about half the time I'm the umpire. To be completely honest with my fellow Forum members, if I weren't on my local association's training committee, I would probably have a hard time explaining all the various types of jump ball violations that can occur, and I know that, even then, it would be difficult for me to make some violation calls in the split second that we're allowed to determine if a violation did indeed occur. And I know for sure that I'm not as good in making the toss as I was before we went to the alternating possession rule.

Flip a coin. They do it in soccer and in football. Play rock, paper, scissors. Give the ball to the home team first. Give the ball to the visitors first. We got rid of Dr. Naismith's peach basket. Now let's get rid of the jump ball. Please. Pretty please.