View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm talking about lead on a free throw. 2 man or 3 man, it isn't going to make a difference. I suppose I could have held off on the free throw and walked over for a discussion.
Why are you talking to a coach from the lead position at all in a 3 person game? There is an official standing closer to a coach than you will ever be at the lead. If you do it right, the calling officials is the officials closest to the coach anyway. Now in 2 man, I am not talking a lot to a coach ever during that sequence. But I will establish this pretty early in my games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You're right. I'm not happy with the way that went down, and that's the part I've been rethinking since then. Problem is, the ball was live and inbounds when he responded to my answer with, "That's terrible." I was right in front of him, but didn't find it appropriate to turn my back. A longer answer may have been appropriate, something more direct and detailed addressing his behavior.
This is why you should mostly be talking to coaches during dead ball. I do not talk to coaches a lot during live ball as a regular practice. I tend to ignore them during those times. When there is a dead ball or there is after a timeout, I will make myself available if a coach has a legitimate question. I used to try to talk to coaches during live ball and the message hardly ever gets across when I am running by. Usually I will just tell the coach, "Wait until a dead ball and I will talk to you when I get a chance."

Peace