View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Stop Sign Not Considered Harmful

I have noted with some sadness the fad of bashing of the stop sign here. It's high time somebody stood up for this much maligned game management tool. I guess this makes me somebody

Let me start by saying that I respect what tomegun has been trying to accomplish with his comments. I have even benefited from them: I've given a couple Ts this year that were deserved and afforded no opportunity to stop sign the recipient. Previously I might have felt obliged to give some kind of warning instead of taking care of business. So, Tom, thanks for helping make my game better.

But all this negative press does not negate the simple truth that the stop sign remains a good game management tool. It still works as well as it always has for a variety of uses, mostly having to do with helping a coach or player understand when they are nearing the end of their leash and there is a chance for them to reel themselves back in. And it still has the added benefit of being visible on film.

Despite the criticism it has come under here recently, officials should not hesistate to use it -- when it is appropriate. In fact, rather than eliminate it from their bag of tools, most of us should probably pull it out sooner than we do.

I'm not on a crusade to end the dialogue about when it's appropriate and inappropriate to use. I find that useful. What I find disturbing is the way that other "wanna-be cool kids" regularly pile on. I'm talking about snide comments along the lines of "Did you give him the stop sign, that would have fixed everything." Tomegun's comments certainly sounded heretical to begin with, but were aimed solidly at accomplishing a specific, useful end. But these pile on comments are nothing more than the moral equivalent of picking on the nerdy kid to try to appear to be cool too.

Most of us realize that, chuckle, and don't lose any sleep over it. But there are a lot of newer officials who come here looking to us for sound advice and I think we do them harm by openly dissing the stop sign just to try to be cool.