View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
I hope so, as some coaches can be such a$$es.

I had a coach who's worst player was taller and better than the other team's best. Yet, up 40, he insisted on playing a tight man to man and picking up the press at mid-court.

Had another coach who's team was up 50 and was not allowing his boys any fast breaks, used a soft zone, used his subs, ran his offense methodically and really tried NOT to run it up (he could have won by 100). Now he was teaching his players a better life lesson.

Any thoughts on this scenario if one of the team is locally/nationally ranked and obviously looking to impress? Difference?
Personally I think things like full- and half-court presses that are strategies to create turnovers/points when you're up by ridiculous amounts with little time left are dumb, but I don't begrudge any coach who tries to score points in a game at any time.

And I disagree that telling your kids to stop trying to score points is teaching them good life lessons. What about "always try your best" or does that only apply when you're sucking at life? Passing up a wide-open layup is not teaching anyone anything about anything.

There is a distinction between intentionally running up the score and trying your best and good coaches recognize this and are able to walk that fine line.