View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Past Quote from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I should add that when I am working with a somewhat "weak" partner who I may or may not trust to make the right call, I cover check swings in my pre-game with them, and tell them how I want it called! I explain that they can call it any way they want with other partners, but would prefer for this game for them to call it the way I do. This sort of get's around the problem of them thinking that somebody else's interpretation is the proper one. (sounds like only yours is)

And now your new "kinder & Gentler" position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Every other sport I have worked, it is quite acceptable for a senior official, who is the crew chief that day, to advise to his crew on that day how he would like certain actions to be judged and called for that game.
I have been around for a few years, been a crew chief for 'that day', and have conducted meetings with my crew to talk about how we will handle situations (especially if we haven't worked together) BUT I have never "told" nor been told how to judge a check swing. I know that by the time you reach D1 ball, assuming that's the level you work since you mentioned the PAC 10, that even the less experienced umpires are capable of judging a check swing on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I have never had a partner become offended by this practice in baseball. No feedback has ever gotten back to me via the "long way around" about this practice. On the contrary, most of my "weaker" partners have expressed gracious statements for sharing this "gem" with them, and after the game told me how much more confident they were in making a check swing determination!
How you present your suggestions/feedback makes all the difference in the world. If you offer 'advice', rather than demand, you'll find most people willing to accept what you have to say. Not just in baseball but in all areas of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
If you are an old hat, unless you specifically asked me about this, I would certainly not cover it in a pre-game. If you did ask me about this, I would explain how I would determine it and leave it up to you to decide if you feel comfortable with that or not. But with newer, "weaker" officials, I am expected to take on a leadership role, and will do so!
Now this I agree with (bet that makes your day )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I can certainly understand how somebody might take offense to perceived officious approach I have described above. But from a personal standpoint, I realize that to become a better official, I must be willing to seek out all points of view, and accept them in principle, even if I don't care for the approach displayed in offering it!
Again, the method and manner of your deliverly makes the difference in how it it taken.