View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Research

BktBallRef:

There is a difference between asking for specific answers to specific questions in the context of an exam that is supposed to be taken under certain, often controlled conditions, i.e closed book and monitored, open book and monitored, taken alone, taken with a "study group", etc., and with homework that involves researching the answer to a general question like, "What are some of the basic fundamentals of being an official ?".

Modern teachers expect students to utilize the internet to research various topics, and there are specific ways to cite internet sources in a bibliography. How is utilzing an internet source, like the Official Forum, different from going to the library, finding a book on officiating, and copying that information ? How is getting information from BktBallRef or BillyMac from the internet different from having a telephone interview or a face to face interview with Chuck Elias or Mark Padgett ? This is the 21st century.

One thing that I'm sure we can both agree on, is the misuse of the internet by students who literally buy research papers from various internet sites. Thank God I retired from teaching before such activity became commonplace. I understand that some schools have started to utilize computer software to detect such plagarism.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 06:40pm.