The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

someone help me!!

I am in an officiating class at my school and I have a couple of questions I hope someone could answer for me. 1) What are some of the basic fundameltals of being an official and 2) how should an official position himself on the floor when he changes ends? Thanks,
Kevin
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Why should we answer your homework questions?

Didn't they give you a book?

Haven't they discussed these issues in your class?

What ideas do you have about these issues?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

I can probably answer number 1 from my perspective, but the second question is extremely broad. Could you be a little bit more specific (on #2)? This would depend on so many things (mechanics set, fast break, half-court play, ball near the end line, ball up top, post players fighting for position, delay offense, lots of screens, lots of passing).

Peace
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 01:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc8022
I am in an officiating class at my school and I have a couple of questions I hope someone could answer for me. 1) What are some of the basic fundameltals of being an official and 2) how should an official position himself on the floor when he changes ends? Thanks,
Kevin
1) tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak

2) preferably standing
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

The teacher is the football coach so we meet once a week for ten minutes to take a test, then we leave. We don't have a book, and like I said, we don't discuss anything in class. None of this needs to be specific, I just need something to put down on my paper.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This May Help ...

RATINGS GUIDELINES FOR EVALUATION OF OFFICIALS

REACTION TIME
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made.

INTESTINAL FORTITUDE
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls - without regard to the score, whom it may hurt, or how it may effect future relations with the coach.

CONFIDENCE
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her reaction to a situation.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification.

POISE
Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Is courteous and polite.

CONSISTENCY
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example consistency in the determination of a block vs. a charge.

JUDGMENT
Uses fair and unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.

COOPERATION
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official
Is not overly sensitive to constructive criticism.
Has a sense of loyalty to fellow officials, a willingness to share the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROPER APPLICATION OF THE RULES
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important, the not calling of a rule violation will have. (i.e. advantage / disadvantage)

MECHANICS OF OFFICIATING
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the Officials Manual.

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Is in excellent physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Billymac, why not go ahead and give him the test answers while you're at it?

Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reseach

BktBallRef:

As a former teacher, I would have been pleased if my students researched their topics with experts in their fields, and what better experts do we have in the field of basketball officiating than members of this Forum ? Whether your getting your information from a book, the internet, a person, a newspaper, a periodical, a video, a television show, etc., it's still research.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 03:41pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
1) tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak

2) preferably standing
Now THAT made me laugh!
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The teacher is the football coach so we meet once a week for ten minutes to take a test, then we leave. We don't have a book, and like I said, we don't discuss anything in class. None of this needs to be specific, I just need something to put down on my paper.
Tough class!
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I think I'd drop . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
BktBallRef:

As a former teacher, I would have been pleased if my students researched their topics with experts in their fields, and what better experts do we have in the field of basketball officiating than members of this Forum ? Whether your getting your information from a book, the internet, a person, a newspaper, a periodical, a video, a television show, etc., it's still research.
Perhaps it's good that you are a former teacher.

Research is one thing. Asking someone for the answers is entirely different.

Stick around! We'll have folks here looking for NFHS exam answers next fall. You can help them out with their research, too!!!

Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Research

BktBallRef:

There is a difference between asking for specific answers to specific questions in the context of an exam that is supposed to be taken under certain, often controlled conditions, i.e closed book and monitored, open book and monitored, taken alone, taken with a "study group", etc., and with homework that involves researching the answer to a general question like, "What are some of the basic fundamentals of being an official ?".

Modern teachers expect students to utilize the internet to research various topics, and there are specific ways to cite internet sources in a bibliography. How is utilzing an internet source, like the Official Forum, different from going to the library, finding a book on officiating, and copying that information ? How is getting information from BktBallRef or BillyMac from the internet different from having a telephone interview or a face to face interview with Chuck Elias or Mark Padgett ? This is the 21st century.

One thing that I'm sure we can both agree on, is the misuse of the internet by students who literally buy research papers from various internet sites. Thank God I retired from teaching before such activity became commonplace. I understand that some schools have started to utilize computer software to detect such plagarism.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 06:40pm.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 09:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You're Welcome, But .....

KevinC8022:

You're welcome, however, you only posted three times and your already namecalling. Remember, "You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar".

You may be wondering why BktBallRef seemed upset about your thread and my post. Here's some background information. Most basketball officiating organizations, associations, or boards, require their officials to pass an exam, usually the NFHS exam, or the IAABO exam, every year. The exam may be very important because it is very often used for promotion, evaluation, or assignment puposes. The format of the exam varies from group to group, open book, closed book, individual, "study group", etc. Many of these exams are standardized nationally, or even internationally. With so many people involved, and with different groups giving the exam on different dates, the answer key will often make it's way onto the "grapevine". Before the advent of the internet, it was often difficult to get hold of the answer sheet, you usually had to know "somebody in a high place". Now, with the internet, it's easier to get hold of the answer sheet.

Every year, here on The Forum, usually in the fall, we get thread starters or posters who are looking for answers to the exam. Sometimes it may be their only thread or post of the year. Sometimes they have stories to tell like, "I've already completed my exam, I want to check my answers", or, "I want the answers for educational purposes". Most Forum members, including myself and BktBallRef, believe this to be a form of cheating and a misuse of The Forum. Occassionallly we get a legitimate question about a single, tricky question, the IAABO version of the exam is known for its tricky questions, and some Forum members will help that thread starter or poster out by directing him or her to the appropriate section of the rule book, or case book, to help with the correct answer, but that is the exception, not the rule, most thread starters or posters asking questions about the answer sheet are simply cheaters, no more, no less, period.

Hopefully now you can understand why BktBallRef was so upset. Good luck with your officiating class. Maybe you'll become interested in basketball officiating. You'll see some great basketball, up close, best seat in the house. You'll get a good work out several times a week. You'll meet a lot of people with a common interest in basketball, colleagues, coaches, athletic directors, site directors, etc. And you can make some good money, we get $ 80.00 each for a high school varsity game here in Connecticut.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 09:49pm.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
This is a class you (or more likely your parents) are paying for?

And you're coming to the internet to ask what the fundementals of officiating are?

Here's the answer: find a lawyer and sue the school to get your money back. Sue them even if you (or your parents) didn't pay a nickel for this class.

btw, BktBallRef just might be the biggest dick on the planet. But he's forgetten more about officiating sports than you'll ever know. Nice work getting on his good side junior.