View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I think I probably speak for most when I say you never really master officiating. It is a lot more than simply knowing rules and mechanics. My feeling is it's a lot like playing an instrument. You or I might be able to play some chords and notes on a guitar, and we might play them using the proper mechanics, but I'll guarantee we won't sound anything like Eric Clapton.

So, practice, practice, practice...

It's not a destination, but a journey. The first step is always the hardest. But, after you take the first step, the second step is the hardest. The NEXT step is always the most important step.

Now, to the "thread within the thread". I sat in my room and practiced guitar night after night. After about a year, I was in the car with the wife and kids. Eric Clapton came on the radio. My son says "Hey, that sounds just like Dad".

After re-adjusting my hat size, I relized that I had been practicing to Eric Clapton recordings. When I was playing the "Nobody Knows.." recording (behind closed doors), he probably though it was me playing the guitar. LOL.

I have yet to have anyone watch a televised basketball game and say "That official looks just like time2ref"..........LOL