View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
GJV. Time out called, passes, ends. As P (T) is administering the throw-in to red, I'm trying to count players. Ball is inbounded, clock starts, players are passing the ball around, I realize there are only four red players. About that time, a red player who had been in the game before the TO jumps up and runs onto the floor. Easy T.

Okay, I know it shouldn't have happened, and if I'd been administering, it wouldn't have. Partner had been explaining a rule or something to the player who was inbounding and hadn't counted. I wasn't sure whether I was seeing everyone or not, so I didn't stop the action early enough.

Now, is this an individual T? We gave it to her, made sure they added it to the team total, and played on. At half-time, I was talking to the Varsity guys about it. We got all confused about team vs bench vs individual vs any other kind of technical and which kind gets the indirect onto the coach.

Came home and looked it up. We goofed. It's a team technical (10-1-9), no indirect on the coach, no individual gets a T.

Then, I had some questions. Is there such a thing as a bench technical that isn't also an individual technical? I can't tell if you can just give a T to the bench in general without specifying a certain person.

During a time-out, all team members are bench personnel. So when only four players enter the court, isn't that fifth player who's sitting on the bench by mistake still a bench personnel? So why isn't this a bench technical?

And why can't a JV coach even count to 5??

Juulie:

I am not going to address the rules to be applied here excpet that there are three NFHS Rules that can possibly apply: 1) R10-S1-A9 (which I believe is the applicable one); 2) R10-S2-A1 and A2; and 3) R10-S3-A3. I think that you and I would agree, that this is a situation that can happen all too many times when one is working with a weak official who is not mechanically sound. And while it is the Head Coach's responsibility to make sure that he send five (5) players back onto the court; it can be said that the oncourt officials are just as cupable in this situation.

I am not blaming you for what happened in your game. I know I have had many situations when I have been the Trail and I have had my open hand up and trying to count players and my partner puts the ball into play. The question that one should ask is can a technical foul be afforded when one official make a blunder of this type?

Two weeks ago, I was T opposite the table in the first half, when the ball went out-of-bounds off V1 on the Team H's endline, table side. I put up the stop sign to my partner and counted players, checked the Scorer's Table for subsitutes (there were none) and then pointed to him that I was ready. Just as the L started to hand the ball to H1 for the throw-in, Team H's Head Coach yelled substitute and the Timer sounded the horn, the L pulled the ball away from H1 and I saw H6 three (3) steps from the Scorer's Table, and my partner signaled for H6 to enter the game. I stepped in and denied H6 from entering the game. Team H's Head Coach was not happy, but as T I was resposible for substitutes and H6 had not reported to the Scorer prior to the ball about to become live (an imminent change of status for my fellow old geezers out there).

While my situation does not involve a technical foul, it is a situation where improper mehanics can get officials in trouble.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio