View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

The officials "absolutely [expletive] cheated us"

The quote in the title is taken from a Buffalo News story about last night's Bowling Green-Buffalo game (the link is below). The Bowling Green coach was angry about the "flaky finish" (that's from the headline of the story). While it was a strange ending, I think the problem was caused by how the coach handled the situation.

In case the link doesn't work, here's a summary: the horn sounded to "end" the game and the BG team left the floor thinking it had won by two. The officials met and put time back on the clock while the Falcons were in the locker room. As the Falcons didn't get back to the floor in a reasonable time, BG was assessed a technical and Buffalo tied the score to put the game into overtime. Buffalo won in OT.

It seems to me a coach should know better than to have his team leave the floor in this way. Wouldn't (or shouldn't) a coach know that the officials can look at the TV monitors to determine if the game was over? In my view, this one is on the coach.

I'm not a referee; I post here occasionally because I keep the scorebook for a college team in New York State (it's not in Buffalo; that's several hours from here). Sometimes I ask questions here about scorebook issues and look for other discussions related to keeping score. I would, however, be interested in thoughts anyone has about last night's BG-UB game. Here's the link: I hope it works.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...14/1007863.asp