The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

The officials "absolutely [expletive] cheated us"

The quote in the title is taken from a Buffalo News story about last night's Bowling Green-Buffalo game (the link is below). The Bowling Green coach was angry about the "flaky finish" (that's from the headline of the story). While it was a strange ending, I think the problem was caused by how the coach handled the situation.

In case the link doesn't work, here's a summary: the horn sounded to "end" the game and the BG team left the floor thinking it had won by two. The officials met and put time back on the clock while the Falcons were in the locker room. As the Falcons didn't get back to the floor in a reasonable time, BG was assessed a technical and Buffalo tied the score to put the game into overtime. Buffalo won in OT.

It seems to me a coach should know better than to have his team leave the floor in this way. Wouldn't (or shouldn't) a coach know that the officials can look at the TV monitors to determine if the game was over? In my view, this one is on the coach.

I'm not a referee; I post here occasionally because I keep the scorebook for a college team in New York State (it's not in Buffalo; that's several hours from here). Sometimes I ask questions here about scorebook issues and look for other discussions related to keeping score. I would, however, be interested in thoughts anyone has about last night's BG-UB game. Here's the link: I hope it works.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...14/1007863.asp
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Go away to a fan website. Then you can discuss this with them. Personally I do not care what happen in some game on the east coast.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Dan Dakish, isn't he a Bobby K disciple?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:58pm
In Memoriam

Comical, you are never going to find out what the true story was unless you hear it from either one of the officials, or from something that is issued by their league or officials supervisor. All you will get is conjecture, and depending on the side, the officials were either great or terrible.

Iow, same old, same old.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Well, I care about what happens in a game on the east coast, although I'm not sure Buffalo qualifies. Unless we're talking about the east coast of Lake Erie.

Anyways...

Quote:
Dakich said his team was in the shower, which was why they didn't return in a timely manner.

"I told my guys let's get in the shower and get out of here there's a blizzard coming," said Dakich, who said he wouldn't bother appealing the outcome of the game. "And we have to drive through it five hours. . . .

"How the hell do you take that from kids? Those three [referees], what they did was wrong."
The only 1 who "took that away from the kids" is the coach, who decided he might be able to sneak out of town with the win before anyone noticed.

Let's face it, all he needed to do was dress 5 players and send them back up for the final throw-in.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Go away to a fan website. Then you can discuss this with them. Personally I do not care what happen in some game on the east coast.

Peace
Rut:

Buffalo is not in the East Coast, it is on the North Coast. and only about five (5) hours from Toledo and Bowling Green.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:09pm
Administrator

The game description in The (Toledo) Blade does not talk a shot clock violation the that Buffalo paper mentions, but the local cable sports news channel will no doubt show the game on a delayed broadcast in the next couple of days and I will watch the game and report back to the group.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Bowling Green, Ohio and BGSU is just 25 miles south of Toledo on I-75 and yes we have been under a winter storm warning and blizzard warning for over 24 hours.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:11pm
Administrator

One other bit of information, Dakich is a Bobby Knight hot-head, so I am not suprised at his outburst. He always thinks the officials are out to get him.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Let it go. It was a joke and said very much tongue and cheek.

BTW, it is "east coast" to those that live here. It might not be considered that in reality, but people not from there would call it the "east coast" unless you have roots there. Just like everyone thinks anyone from Illinois (that does not live in the Midwest) lives close to Chicago or asks that question when you tell them what state you are from. Buffalo is in New York State right? New York State is on the Atlantic Ocean right?

Peace
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Why is a coach and team leaving before the officials do? To me that's just stupid!! Their jurisdiction has not ended yet. I agree that the coach was trying to sneak away with a win he knew he didn't have in the bag.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Well, I care about what happens in a game on the east coast, although I'm not sure Buffalo qualifies. Unless we're talking about the east coast of Lake Erie.
In Cleveland they call it the North Coast of America! Back me up on this Ignats75
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:15pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Let it go. It was a joke and said very much tongue and cheek.

BTW, it is "east coast" to those that live here. It might not be considered that in reality, but people not from there would call it the "east coast" unless you have roots there. Just like everyone thinks anyone from Illinois (that does not live in the Midwest) lives close to Chicago or asks that question when you tell them what state you are from. Buffalo is in New York State right? New York State is on the Atlantic Ocean right?

Peace

Rut:

The east end of New York maybe on the Atlantic coast, but Buffalo is on Lake Erie, a far cry from the Atlantic Ocean. I hope you aren't a geography teacher.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
In Cleveland they call it the North Coast of America! Back me up on this Ignats75

I live in Toledo on Lake Erie and grew up in Youngstown, Ohio, and Lake Erie is the North Coast of America.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Buffalo is in New York State right? New York State is on the Atlantic Ocean right?
Thats like The "C" positioned in the "L".. LOL NYC is off the Atlantic, or my home place of Longgggg IIIIsland. LOL

Last edited by REFVA; Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 06:35pm.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 06:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Rut:

The east end of New York maybe on the Atlantic coast, but Buffalo is on Lake Erie, a far cry from the Atlantic Ocean. I hope you aren't a geography teacher.

MTD, Sr.
I can tell you are from Ohio. Multi-layered thought is hard for you.

Peace