View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gochron
I am for the shot clock. I just did a JV game that went into 3 OT's. And each team who won the tip, stalled for 3 1/2 minutes. These teams played not to lose. We (adults) tend to think that kids won't catch on to things we are trying to teach them. Actually, they are light years ahead and thats why they get bored. If you have a shot clock, the kids will adjust and learn to play with it. There is no limit to what our kids can learn, so let's not limit them.
This same thing happened about 2 weeks ago in a JV game. However, this game went 7, yes 7, O/T's. I was really feeling sorry for the officials when I heard about the game until I found out there was really no action in the O/T period. The team getting the jump ball held the ball at mid-court and the defense never forced the issue. The game was finally declared a tie because they needed to start the varsity game so they could be out of the gym by a certain time.

We officiate a private school league that uses the 30-second clock at F/JV/V level. I kinda like it. The problem I have is not starting a 10-second backcourt count.