View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 04:25pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmz17
What do you do when the "official scorekeeper" is probably a high school kid recruited to work a middle school tournament and there is no way for you to have some one sit at the table next to him?
This happened to me at a MSG game in Fall '05. The home team had one of its non-participating players doing the book and during the A game, there was a descrepancy in total team fouls. (I didn't make a big deal out of it since it had no impact on the game). But for the B game, I decided I was going to side as close to the table as possible and make the home team scorer follow Rule 2-11 as close to the letter as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmz17
We always check the book at halftime and did in this game with it being correct when we checked it. However, after we checked it the home team coach took the "official book" from the table to her bench area. (....) Any suggestions?
I had this happen a few weeks ago at a CYO game. I got there late and the game ended up starting 5 minutes early. I had just enough time to get the home team's numbers and last names entered into my scoresheet, so I figured "I'll just get their first names at halftime."

Well, halftime comes, and I go to the home score to copy the first names into my scoresheet, and the book is missing. I asked him where the book was and he told me the home coach took it to the locker room. I let him know that was not supposed to happen.

Well, halftime ends, and the home scorebook is still missing. So the officials made me official scorer for the second half as the book remained AWOL for the game. I also let the home coach know that at home games, she risks being T'd up if she does that again. Of course she didn't seem to care.

One thing I do with scoring is use a different color pen for each period (quarter or half as appropriate) and reverse the slash direction after halftime ( / becomes \ ) in case there is any question or dispute over fouls or time outs called.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball