Thread: Time to foul
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
I don't know about y'all, but when I know a team is in a sitch where they need to foul, I tend to get real quick with the whistle. I hate to see a team keep whacking and grabbing and not get the ref's attention. I was watching a girl's JV game like that tonight. Team B was down 3 with a minute and a half left, and only 3 fouls on the board. It was obvious they were trying to foul, but apparently they weren't getting 'enough' contact in the officials' viewpoint.

Then B1 puts her hand right between the numbers on the back of A1 after she dribbled past and gave her a push. Obviously not a play at the ball, right? Do you have an intentional when you see that push in the back? I think I would, but it wasn't called so I was wondering what others thought.
This is exactly what happened in the Nevada/Hawaii game on this past Saturday. Perhaps you should ask that officiating crew. (BTW does this make them GJV officials! )

Nevada/Hawaii Game Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
If you have a quick whistle during "fouling situation" are you calling the game consistently? Are you calling more touch fouls than earlier in the game? I don't know if I agree with the concept but have seen it done.
Great comment. The NFHS said this in one of its POEs this year.
2006-07 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
5. Rules Enforcement and Proper Use of Signals.
A. Rules Enforcement.
Contact – Contact that is not considered a foul early in the game should not be considered a foul late in the game simply because a team "wants" to foul. Conversely, contact that is deemed intentional late in the game should likewise be called intentional early in the game.