Thread: pregame dunk
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
SOWB_Ref, your example is waaay out in left field. You have a great point about adding a name to the book. I don't have a problem giving a T, because the player is a team member, he just not playing in this game. I don't care if you add his name or not( for this situation) i wouldn't give another T to add his name to the book when we are under the 10min. mark. I think you are going beyond the spirit of the rules by adding the name and giving another T. And if you add the name (for this situation ) and don't give a T because it is under the 10min mark, then Yes I would allow him to play in the game. However, i can see putting yourself in a pickle if you don't add to the roster and later the coach decides to play him.

Bart I don't support adding a player so you can give them a T for the Dunk. My points are this

1. Player Eligibility is defined by those persons who are submitted to the official score book. Those persons are team members. We as officials (unless obligated under state association)do not have jursidiction over eligibility. I believe because of that we don't have the authority to summarily add or subtract anyone from that roster based on eligibility. We can disqualify a team member but we can force someone on the roster

2. Anyone else is either a Head Coach, bench personnel, or a spectator (this includes game management, band, and cheerleaders, but I will stipulate different rules apply to them in differing situations to these).

That is how percieve the rules. Here is how I would employ my judgement.

The person who dunked, isn't on the roster so they are either bench personnel or a spectator, and in my judgement any person on the floor warming up with team members in uniform is bench personnel. Following my post earlier I would hold bench personnel to the same code of conduct as players as such I would administer the T as a bench T with an indirect to the head coach.

I apologize if anyone thought I was trying to explain a method of absolving the person or head coach of the penalty. I just concerned in the manner in which it was administered.

Now having said all that there is one thing I am uncertain of. I was sure there was a rule stipulating only team members could conduct a pregame warm up. I searched the book but was unable to find a reference to this.

You are right my situations were way out there, I intended as such. I had only hoped to show conflicts in enforcing the matter as Mark has tried to do.