Thread: pregame dunk
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by daves
One of the officials at our association meeting tonight
brought up a situation that maybe some of you can help me with. During the pre game warmups a person who is dressed in uniform dunks the ball. When going over to report the technical the coach informs the official that the person won't be playing or even listed in the book. Since you can't call a T on the player, how would you handle this? I told him that I would call a bench T with an indirect on the head coach and start the game with free throws and possession for the other team at the division line. Is the correct procedure for handling this?

Partially correct. The head coach does receive an indirect technical foul for the player dunking the ball, you are correct in that respect. But the technical foul is a direct technical foul against the player. If his/her name is not in the scorebook, you add his/her name. The adding of the name in this situation is mandatory. There is a sticky wicket attached to the adding of the player's name to the scorebook. If the dunking occured before the ten minute mark then you do not have a problem. But, if the dunking occured after the ten minute mark, then the player's team is also charged with an administrative technical foul for adding a name to the scorebook. You cannot get around adding the player's name to the scorebook.

At the least, the A1 will have one direct technical foul charged against him, the Head Coach A will have an indirect technical foul charged against him, and the Team A will have one team foul charged against its seven and ten team fouls NFHS rules). The game will start with Team B shooting two free throws and then have possesion of the ball for a throw-in at the division line (NFHS rules) or jump ball to start the game (NFHS rules).

At the least, the A1 will have one direct technical foul charged against him, the Head Coach A will have an indirect technical foul charged against him, Team A will be charged with an administrative technical foul, and the Team A will have two team fouls charged against its seven and ten team fouls (NFHS rules). The game will start with Team B shooting four free throws and then have possesion of the ball for a throw-in at the division line (NFHS rules) or jump ball to start the game (NFHS rules).
I have a concern with this. What rule are you using to establish that a person must be added as a player(mandatory)? Just because a person is in a uniform does not establish them a player. If it was a boy in an identical uniform just prior to a girls game do you add him? I would submit that if they aren't a designated team member, we have to handle it differently.

I believe there are rules designating people who are authorized to be on the court to conduct a pre-game warm-up, but I went thru my rule book and couldn't locate it. I would say if they aren't a team member(or bench personnel) during the warm-up, then have them leave the court (not removed from the gym).

Now here is a point of contention with that scenario. What if they aren't a team member but bench personnel. I think 10-4-1 in the first line says it all, "Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct..." i.e. judgement. And in my judgement, I am going to hold all bench personnel to the same standard as team member. Whack bench T with one indirect on the head coach.

IMHO