View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 05:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
There's a town right next to mine that is a Senior community (I'll be moving there shortly ). One of the retirement homes challenged their local Lions Club to a match, with the money raised going to the Lions Club camp for blind kids. I was contacted to "officiate" and also to be a "roving announcer" with a portable megaphone. Some local dignitaries were invited to participate including our State Representative at the time, Max Williams (now head of the prison system in Oregon). Max is a personal friend of mine so I made sure I gave him a really bad time. In fact, he almost lost to a lady with a walker!

Everyone wore summer white clothes and had cucumber sandwiches and lemonaide (I am not kidding). They raised about $2000 for the charity by charging admission and selling food and drink. It was really a blast and I wish they would have it every summer.
The only part of your story that I found amazing, Mark, was that you needed a portable megaphone. I can just see ya sneaking up behind the l'il ol' lady with the walker(Juulie?) and bellowing "That's a foul, that's a foul..". Yup, see if her pacemaker is working the way it should.