View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
Do you think if standards were set - able to run a certain distance and a certain time, agility type run, physical, weight standards, etc. like they do for other jobs that require physical activity, that an official who is blooming late in life can physically handle the job should be given the opportunity. I watch games on TV and see very over weight officials who have a hard time getting up and down the floor. Dick Bavetta is an official in the NBA who is past the primes of many officials stays quite in shape. I would like to beleive that physical ability should be addressed and at least physical test be done to evalute the physical capability of an official. IF he meets those standards, then age should not be an issue. Until then, it's just life.
Interesting side note: Bavetta is going to race Charles Barkley during the All-Star weekend...I think I heard that they are going down and back one time...could be interesting. My money is on Bavetta...

Also, officials who want to work FIBA International tournaments have to pass a physical test - they have to do running and stuff and there are criteria they have to meet/beat in order to officiate at the big international tourneys (Olympics, World Champs., etc.)