The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
Do you think if standards were set - able to run a certain distance and a certain time, agility type run, physical, weight standards, etc. like they do for other jobs that require physical activity, that an official who is blooming late in life can physically handle the job should be given the opportunity. I watch games on TV and see very over weight officials who have a hard time getting up and down the floor. Dick Bavetta is an official in the NBA who is past the primes of many officials stays quite in shape. I would like to beleive that physical ability should be addressed and at least physical test be done to evalute the physical capability of an official. IF he meets those standards, then age should not be an issue. Until then, it's just life.
Interesting side note: Bavetta is going to race Charles Barkley during the All-Star weekend...I think I heard that they are going down and back one time...could be interesting. My money is on Bavetta...

Also, officials who want to work FIBA International tournaments have to pass a physical test - they have to do running and stuff and there are criteria they have to meet/beat in order to officiate at the big international tourneys (Olympics, World Champs., etc.)
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Age is a factor in whether Clemens and Farve play again.
Rut,
Age is one of the factors, but since they started playing well toward November, he re-upped today, I think, because of his linemen.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
Do you think if standards were set - able to run a certain distance and a certain time, agility type run, physical, weight standards, etc. like they do for other jobs that require physical activity, that an official who is blooming late in life can physically handle the job should be given the opportunity. They do do this in the NBA.

I watch games on TV and see very over weight officials who have a hard time getting up and down the floor. Dick Bavetta is an official in the NBA who is past the primes of many officials stays quite in shape. I would like to beleive that physical ability should be addressed and at least physical test be done to evaluate the physical capability of an official. IF he meets those standards, then age should not be an issue. Until then, it's just life.
Forget about the physical test, it is of low value. They have ways of determining physical ability of a person without going thru a rigorous test. JRut paints a very dim picture but I would not go down that path if I really wanted to do it. I'm going to give you something that's going to make your partner very happy. Tell him to seek out other DI conferences. Always keep an open mind. A wise man once said, when one door shuts, another one opens. Be not too concern to the door that just shut (or JRut opinion), for you may miss the opportunity from the door that just open (another DI conference). Life is full of setbacks and challenges. To succeed, you must persevere, and never, ever give up.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Age sucks, buts that's life

I called in college, then sat out about 20 years and now have about 8 years current. I go to camps, look good, gets lots of good 5A games, but I am not what they are looking for for college games. Finally, last year I decided that I should do my best at the level I can call.

although I am in my mid 50's, I look more like the lower 40's. Someone once told me I didn't look 50. I replied, "But, I am.".