Thread: need to vent
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
i know im relatively new to officating (5 yrs.) but it seems lately that i have more calls being made in my area and it is starting to annoy me...im working hard to develope my offball skills and appling adv/disadv, displacement so i pass on some calls...im working as hard to make sure that im not calling outside of my primary...how can i approach my partner to let them know that they need to allow me to call my game and still be respectful of their judgment?
Ive tried to talk in pre-game about "holding the whistle and making eye contact" when a call is outside the primary. This gives you a chance to say to your partner later, "Did you look at me before you blew that? I had a pretty good look and I don't thing the contact warranted a call". They can then get defensive if they want, but they know what to work on. Also, if you do this for them -- see a call in their primary, hold your whistle, and then make eye contact -- they see how it can work. This also gives them permission to make those calls if they feel 100% certain you're missing something, which of course is what you want!