View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Great list of arguments MJT for 4 vs. 5. I'd be curious to see a list for 5 vs. 6 because I think a lot of the same points would apply. I've had several situations as a wing where I know something isn't covered because we only have 5 guys instead of 6.

For example, the right tackle can get away with holding on a pass play if he's on my side. I watch the initial charge but if I read pass, I'm releasing downfield with the receivers. The R is looking through the QB and watching the left tackle and may not see the right tackle on the backside holding. The U might see it, but his focus is G-C-G.

If we had 6 officials, I wouldn't need to release downfield on pass plays and could help watch the continued blocking better. I've had coaches complain about holding in these situations so I will take a few extra peaks back as I'm covering the receivers to see if I see anything. I have caught holding on a couple occasions that would have otherwise been missed (most of the time it's a baseless complaint though).

I would like to see 6 officials for high school games because I think it provides better coverage but with shrinking HS athletic budgets and officials shortages, I'm not sure it will happen.